Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Compiz not working with Hardy? Blacklisted graphics cards

Hardy beta has been released! great news unless you have an incompatible ATI mobile card. sadly this is what happened to me. I was unable to enable advanced desktop effects.... sadly. If this has happened to you run this command

mkdir -p ~/.config/compiz/ && echo SKIP_CHECKS=yes >> ~/.config/compiz/compiz-manager

I wish I could claim this workaround but it was originally posted here. by Amaranth. Apparently some Radeon Mobility cards, Radeon rv350 and rv450 cards, and the Intel 965 (X3000, X3100) have been blacklisted. If you choose the workaround realize that your card has been blacklisted for a reason. You will probably run into some problems, but in my case they were few and easily avoided.

Enjoy!

No comments: